IELTS Academic is an English-language test used primarily for higher education and professional registration.
What is IELTS Academic?
IELTS Academic is one of the two IELTS test versions, alongside IELTS General Training. It’s tailored to evaluate the English-language proficiency of individuals aiming to study at undergraduate or postgraduate levels or join a professional organization in an English-speaking country.
The test duration is approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes and encompasses four distinct modules:
- Listening (30 minutes): Four recorded monologues and conversations.
- Reading (60 minutes): Three long academic reading passages with various tasks.
- Writing (60 minutes): Describing a graph, chart or diagram, and an argumentative essay.
- Speaking (11-14 minutes): Face-to-face interview, short speech, and discussion.
The Listening, Reading, and Writing sections are all completed consecutively on the same day. The Speaking segment may be scheduled on the same day or within 7 days of the other components.
How is IELTS Academic Scored?
Your IELTS score, often referred to as the Band Score, spans from 0 to 9. Each section of the test earns a band score, and the average of these results in your overall band score which is then rounded to the nearest whole or half band.
To illustrate, if you obtain a 7 in Listening, 8 in Reading, 6.5 in Writing, and 7.5 in Speaking, your overall score would be the average, resulting in 7.25 which is rounded to 7.5.
This scoring system gives a comprehensive view of your capability to communicate in English in academic and professional contexts. It indicates your potential to understand and participate in academic discussions, lectures, and written assignments in English.
How can I prepare for IELTS Academic?
Achieving a good score in IELTS Academic demands comprehensive preparation. Here are some guidelines for effective preparation:
- Practice Regularly: Utilize online resources, sample papers, and practice tests. Enrolling for a free IELTS Ready Premium account can provide you with at least one online practice test.
- Expand Your Vocabulary: Engage with academic articles, journals, and texts. Jot down new terms and their contexts to enhance your academic vocabulary.
- Listen to English Lectures: Listen to academic lectures, seminars, and discussions in English to hone your listening skills.
- Write Regularly: Practice writing essays, reports, and summaries. Seek feedback from teachers or knowledgeable peers.
- Time Management: Cultivate the habit of answering questions within the stipulated time.
For those desiring comprehensive guidance, we offer a meticulous online prep course with instructor feedback and interactive Zoom sessions.
For personalized guidance, explore our online and in-person tutoring solutions. Additionally, our 20-hour in-person prep course encompasses practice tests and resources, ensuring you’re adequately prepped for test day.
IELTS Academic FAQs
Registering for the IELTS Academic test is hassle-free. We have multiple venues throughout the Greater Vancouver Area. Choose your desired test type, venue, format, and date, then book your test online and finalize your registration with the fee payment.